[Multi-word verbs] Type 1: Phrasal verbs
「多字動詞 Multi-word verbs」相當常用，尤其在口語表達的使用更是頻繁。「多字動詞 Multi-word verbs」共分為三種，「片語動詞 Phrasal verbs」是其中一種，此類動詞在以英文溝通時是非常重要的一環，一起來看看以下的「Phrasal verbs 片語動詞」的重要規則吧！
Phrasal verbs have two parts: a main verb and an adverb particle. The most common adverb particles used to form phrasal verbs are around, at, away, down, in, off, on, out, over, round, up, e.g.
- bring in
- go around
- look up
- put away
- take off
Phrasal verbs often have meanings which we cannot easily guess from their individual parts, e.g.
- The book first came out in 1997. (was published)
- The plane took off an hour late. (flew into the air)
- The lecture went on till 6.30. (continued)
- It’s difficult to make out what she's saying. (hear/understand)
Phrasal verbs are often less formal than a single word with the same meaning. Compare:
- Phrasal verb: We need to sort the problem out . Vs.
- More formal single word: We need to solve/resolve the problem.
- Phrasal verb: The team only had an hour to put the stage up before the concert. Vs.
- More formal single word: The team only had an hour to erect/construct the stage before the concert.
推薦課程 文法技能診療班 英語實境溝通課程