[Multi-word verbs] Type 2: Prepositional verbs
「多字動詞Multi-word verbs」相當常用，尤其在口語表達的使用更是頻繁，此類動詞在英文溝通時是非常重要的一環。「多字動詞Multi-word verbs」共分為三種，一起來看看本篇介紹的「Prepositional verbs介系詞動詞」吧！
Prepositional verbs have two parts: a verb and a preposition which cannot be separated from each other, e.g.
- break into (a house)
- get over (an illness)
- listen to
- cope with (a difficult situation)
- get on
- look after (a child)
- deal with (a problem)
- get off
- look at
- depend on
- go into
- look for
- do without
- lead to
- look forward to
Prepositional verbs always have an object, which comes immediately after the preposition. The object (underlined) can be a noun phrase, a pronoun or the -ing form of a verb:
- Somebody broke into his car and stole his radio. I don’t like this CD. I don’t want to listen to it any more. Getting to the final depends on winning the semi-final!
Some prepositional verbs take a direct object after the verb followed by the prepositional phrase, e.g. associate … with/remind … of/protect … from/rob … of/provide … with/thank … for.
- Hannah reminds me of a girlfriend of mine.
- How can we protect children from dangerous material on the Internet?
- I'd like to thank everyone for their kindness.
推薦課程 文法技能診療班 英語實境溝通課程